Thursday, February 6, 2014

My Family's Favorite Waffles (Whole Grain)

I can't take ownership of this recipe. It is not mine.

A while back the boys and I were at a good friends house for a play date. She had invited us to stay for lunch, these waffles were on the menu! I have been hooked ever since!

We used to always get Eggo Whole Grain waffles. Waffles have been a great quick breakfast or on-the-go, in-the-car snack. They boys love them, they weren't that bad, health wise.

But then I was introduced to these. Healthier, I know exactly what is in them, and they are rather delicious!

The recipe is from Our Best Bites, go there to get the full recipe, they even provide a printable recipe page. If you are anything like me... a messy cook, then you may want to laminate it after you print it out! My recipe page has been through a lot!


Basically made like any other baked good, mix dry ingredients separate from wet ingredients then combine!


When it comes to non-stick waffle irons, do not use cooking spray. Not only are you adding chemicals to your waffles, but over time it will ruin your waffle iron and cause everything to stick. Instead, when you first get your waffle iron, "season" it with a light brushing of olive oil. After you are finished making waffles, let the iron cool, then wipe with a damp cloth to clean. You may have to add a brushing of olive oil every few times you make waffles, but it isn't every time. Using the occasional brush of olive oil will extend the life of your waffle iron and reduce the chemicals in your food.

We have a 12" round waffle iron. I like to make two batches of these waffles. That way I can freeze the rest and use them like I would store bought waffles, just pop them in the toaster! 


I put 1/2 cup of badder in each quadrant of our waffle iron. Cook until golden brown, usually loner than what your green indicator light says. Opening too early could separate your waffles.

I have been trying to eat more proteins and healthy fats. One way to do that is to dress my waffles in some natural peanut butter with a drizzle of syrup.


I can't tell you how good these are, even if you don't like whole wheat, you may find these rather tasty. I am thinking it has to do with the vanilla.

I'm happy knowing that the waffles my family loves are also good for them! 

Again, get the full recipe at Our Best Bites!

Try these then come back and let me know if you like them as much as we do! 
What are your favorite whole grain recipes? Please share!





No comments:

Post a Comment