Friday, December 27, 2013

Pregnancy Update {Week 13}

So far... this pregnancy has been like neither of the other two.

I couldn't believe how different my first two were, but now, oh my gosh, I don't even know what to expect!

With Squirrel and Bug I had no more than two or three days of morning sickness with either of them. With Squirrel I had some heartburn, but not much. Overall, my pregnancy with Squirrel was super easy.

Bug's pregnancy started with a lot of pulling round ligaments. Every time I would move between 8 and 14 weeks, those muscles would pull and I thought I was being stabbed with a knife! I then started getting heartburn regularly, I went through a lot of Tums.

With each of them I carried so differently. I carried Squirrel all over. I carried Bug just in front. It was as if I had a giant ball under my shirt.

This time around, before I even found out I was pregnant, I was getting nauseous and having bouts of heartburn in the evenings. Both of which were out of character for me.

I am still getting heartburn almost every evening and nausea occasionally. I have had more morning sickness than with the other two, but it is more like afternoon/evening sickness. There was one day that I was laid out on the couch all day, but otherwise I can manage to get along with out much disruption of my day.

I am currently 13 weeks and already showing! I look about like I did at 20 weeks with Squirrel and at 15 weeks with Bug.


I haven't been able to button my pants for just over a week. I actually went to the mall after Christmas to get some skirts. I am in that in-between stage where my regular pants are too small, but maternity pants are too big, so stretchy waist skirts seemed like a good solution.

Complications:

With this pregnancy I have had an acute UTI, meaning I have a UTI that doesn't want to go away. I have had two rounds of antibiotics, so far the second round seems to have knocked out the infection.

Big bummer... my progesterone levels are low. Low progesterone can lead to miscarriage, pre-term labor and growth issues with the placenta and uterus. Luckily I can take progesterone shots to bring my numbers back up. Unfortunately, I am afraid of needles. I was doing ok with the idea of shots (twice weekly), until the syringes/needles arrived. These things are huge! I will be getting my first shot on Monday.

Birthing Options:

Squirrel was born in the hospital. He was born via (un)necessary c-section. Meaning, I was new to the whole labor and deliver thing. Many interventions took place, which my body doesn't react well to, thus leading to a c-section. After much research I learned that had I not been given the interventions, Squirrel would not have arrived into this world via major surgery.

Bug was a VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarean) in the hospital, a different hospital than Squirrel. Everything went well. I avoided interventions as long as I could, then caved to an epidural, which yes, slowed down labor for me, but being that I waited as long as I had, he still entered this world the way God had intended.

As far as baby #3 we are currently planning a home birth. I have found an amazing midwife who has already told me way more about my other labors/deliveries than any of the Dr's ever did. She is very knowledgeable and experienced. My husband and I trust that she will help us deliver our baby safely without medical intervention in the comforts of our own home.

I would appreciate any and all prayers throughout this pregnancy! 

How were pregnancies or labor/delivery different for you with each of your little ones?










2 comments:

  1. My first was pretty easy, second was a piece of cake but my third... my baby is 7 months old and I think I'm STILL recovering from it! Good thing he's so sweet and snuggly. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm laughing, but maybe I shouldn't be?! My second is a toddler terror, but on the flip side he's the sweetest little boy. Hmh.. wonder how the third will be?

      Delete